History of the Victory Baptist Church in DeKalb

On Sunday evening, August 2, 1955, a group of Baptists met on the lawn of Oliver and Lillian Knauss to hear Harold Cameron, a Northern Illinois Area Missionary preach. Following this meeting came the foundation of a Southern Baptist Church in DeKalb. The group rented the Masonic Temple and the DeKalb Baptist Chapel was organized as the DeKalb Baptist Church on April 21, 1956 with 52 charter members.

Land was purchased on Sycamore Road and a building was erected in 1960. The first service was held in the new building on January 29, 1961. The name of the church was changed to Sycamore Road Baptist Church in 1964.

In the last week of May, 1964 six families from the DeKalb Baptist Church met concerning the establishing of a new Baptist church in DeKalb. The old Odd Fellows Hall was rented for Sunday School and worship services. The first service was held June 28, 1964, with 26 present.

Fellowship Baptist Church was constituted in December, 1964, with 29 charter members. The church purchased the Lutheran Church building in May of 1965.

On November 18, 1979, the members of Fellowship Baptist Church and Sycamore Road Baptist Church voted to dissolve their separate bodies and merge to form a new congregation. They selected the name Victory Baptist Church. The Fellowship Baptist Church building was sold and the Sycamore Road location became the meeting place of Victory Baptist Church. A Founder’s Day Service was held on February 10, 1980 completing the merger of the two churches.

More important than all of these events is the faithfulness that God has shown to this group of his people in the DeKalb area for half a century.